By Andrew Kensley






Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Sticker Board

The lure of rewards will always trump the fear of punishment.

Since the first few days of instituting the Sticker Board, Ella and Sophia have responded resoundingly to colored, star-shaped stickers and the promise of prizes. They pick their colors at the outset, and as you can see, they don't get stickers every day; only when they behave consistently well. That includes doing what they are asked to do (without a dozen reminders or whining about it), volunteering for chores, and being thoughtful and considerate of others, to name a few. Once they receive 10 stickers, they get to pick their own prize. At 20, they get to pick an even bigger one, a prize that cements my theory that females are born with one unassailable trait: a need to shop.

They get to pick out a pair of new shoes.

Tanya did a lot of research on the subject of positive reinforcement and found that having children pick their own punishments and rewards leads to better compliance. And the girls have really responded so I'm on board.

I might ask Tanya if I, too, can get prizes for good behavior. And I get to pick my own prize.

I assure you, it won't involve shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment