By Andrew Kensley






Monday, April 8, 2013

It Was Only a Matter of Time...

Not sure I could put this in Wee Wisdom in the newspaper, so here you go, blog readers.

Last week Sophia, out of nowhere, comes into the kitchen, barely able to control herself. "Dad," she says, "this is going to sound funny, but you had sex with mom so you could have kids! That's hysterical, right?!"

If only she knew how badly I wanted to say, "Well, sort of." So instead, I just laughed and agreed with her.

The fact that Sophia's only seven and was cracking herself up limited my ability to verbalize the jokes that swirled in my head. I thought back to those days when (Mom, fast forward to the next paragraph please...PLEASE!), well, let's just say sex was more about practice than actual game situations. And while there are times when I long for the quiet nights after work, when the couch was fair game in the middle of the afternoon (furtive cough, ahem), and when Tanya's and my responsibilities were strictly limited to ourselves, I realize that having kids has still been the best decision T and I have made together.

At least, I remind myself frequently, we're done with diapers, breastfeeding (more Tanya than me on that one), potty training, most of the crying, waking up in the middle of the night, and an overall need for round the clock care. And it has happened so damn fast.

Ella's almost done with fourth grade, and after next year, will be in middle school. That's MIDDLE SCHOOL, as in, Junior high, as in...post-pubescent, pre-driving, seconds-away-from-"Mom, Dad: Meet Biff. He's an MMA fighter. Like, isn't he cute?"

And Sophia is already two years into elementary school, reading at a middle-of-second-grade level, and showing me dance moves I'd rather not see just yet. Or ever.

Everyone says the early days of parenting go fast, and no one believes it until it actually happens. And it's all so very true. The minutes are precious. Cherish them.

And I recommend sex every now and then, even if you're done having kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment