By Andrew Kensley






Monday, April 15, 2013

What Makes a Parenting Blog?

I've been doing some research on parenting blog and columns, trying to figure out how to break into the game and build my visibility. Search Engine Optimization is a tough gig, for sure, especially if you would like to spend some time doing other things. So I think the route I'll shoot for now will involve more networking, reading other blogs, and communicating with other bloggers and writers who have something interesting to say. Maybe someone with an ample following will be kind and throw me a bone. And, as I tell Ella and Sophia, you'll never get anywhere if you don't try.

It seems that to make a parenting blog or column worthwhile reading, it must relate to a large percentage of readers. By that I mean, the experiences that trigger the discussions should be everyday occurrences. Personal experience is a great gateway toward making people feel included in what you're trying to say. Also, it lets readers know that you are just a regular person like them, trying to live the best life you can. In the end, that's all we really want for ourselves and for our kids.

Personally, with Wee Wisdom, I use direct quotations, and I try not to doctor them in any way. When kids talk, we tend to gloss over much of what they say. But by listening beyond the words—the backstory, the "between-the-lines" meanings, the nuance—we become stimulated to laugh, cry, and initiate serious discussions about a host of issues. Hearing our little ones, whether they know we're listening or not, lets us into their heads, which is often hard to do. When we hear what they say, and even further, acknowledge them, they become more than "kids." They become an equal part of the discussion.

They become relevant, which is exactly what any of us want at any age.

I came across this blog recently, and I think it's smart, interesting and, well, relevant. Short, sweet, meaningful bursts of "hmmm, interesting. I hadn't thought of that...". Check it out: Motherlode by KJ Dell'Antonia. She also tweets (who doesn't, right?).

If you like it, email her with the link to The Dad Life and urge her to take a look. Every bit helps, faithful readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment