By Andrew Kensley






Thursday, October 10, 2013

Goodbye live TV, hello...what, exactly?

As of September 30, 2013, at 12:00 am, live television no longer exists in our home.

So far, it feels great.

This was not an impulsive, reflexive action based on the advice of some anti-electronics parenting guru or a self-righteous child psychology expert. The choice to cancel our monthly DirecTV service and just go with movies, Netflix, Hulu Plus, and other online-based entertainment was based on a number of reasons, with cost as the greatest factor. I was paying about $75 a month for something we simply didn't use very much.

Aside from bits and pieces of sports highlights and the same old movies on TNT, TBS, AMC and USA networks (I'll miss you Rocky I-IV, Jerry Maguire, JFK, Footloose...), there's not much we can't watch on Hulu Plus or Netflix. We rent movies occasionally. Tanya's been semi-addicted to shows like Orange is the New Black and Scandal, which she watches on Netflix or Hulu on her iPad. The kids stream Netflix through the Wii or watch DVDs on the Blu Ray player in the basement. The fewer commercials the better, to be honest.

I know TV will always be a part of our lives. In fact, to compensate for the lack of live entertainment on the idiot box, I bought a considerably more intelligent piece of equipment: literally. I hit a clearance special at Best Buy and bought a 40" Vizio smart TV and hung it on our wall where a monstrous armoire used to be. Getting rid of the TV was, in effect, just one of many changes we've made lately.

For some time now, we've been steadily clearing clutter from every room in the house, getting rid of things that we don't use, repositioning others that we do, and filling our space with more positive energy. At least once a month, it seems, we give away three or four bags or boxes full of clothes, household goods and old electronics to the local Goodwill store. (It's a wonder we have anything left.) Tanya has spent hours organizing her closet and drawers, and has given away more clothes than some people own.

Canceling the satellite service feels like a symbolic step toward emotional betterment. I can't just flip on the tube for 10 minutes to a dumb talk show or more negativity on the news that I'm barely paying attention to while I brush my teeth and get dressed. I am no longer able to flip through channels mindlessly in search of something to watch when I could be doing something useful. Like breathing or reading. The part of my spirit that values being present and fully in the moment thanks me, I'm sure.

I know this because every time we go on vacation or some kind of adventure with a minimum of electronics availability and schedules packed with family time and outdoor activities, I feel happier. Much happier.

I will, however, admit this: I think I might miss live sports a little. I rarely watch a whole game of any sport, but I like having it available at any time, especially for the playoffs. Super Bowl parties make that a non-issue, but I can only foresee one problem: March Madness.

When the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament rolls around for three glorious weeks in the spring and it's college basketball 24/7 for three weeks, please tell my wife when you see her that if she needs me, I'll be at the local sports bar, and will check back in April.




No comments:

Post a Comment