By Andrew Kensley






Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Progress

I finally caved.

I was due for an upgrade on my cell phone so I waltzed into the AT&T shop to browse what was available. I had intended to trade up for another dumb phone (I know, I know...I realize how ridiculous it sounds now) and avoid getting an awesome device that would "change my life," as the sales guy and everyone else I know has asserted for years. It wasn't that I didn't want an iPhone, per se, but I've been convincing myself for some time now that I a) didn't need it, (still might be partially true) and b) didn't want to pay the additional $20/month for the data package. Old habits are hard to break. And what can I say, I'm cheap.

But not blind.

I know that having a multifaceted handheld computer/phone/camera/video/music/TV, etc. is no longer considered a luxury, but rather a necessity. And whether I decide to live in the dark ages like my dad (who, incidentally, owns a cellphone but has no idea how to use it...he's so cute) doesn't matter. The world in which I live is not about to rush back through a time warp to rescue my obstinate ass from the horse-drawn buggy I'm riding in as I read the newspaper, watch a VHS movie, talk on a corded rotary dial telephone and wait for my IBM-compatible Tec Master XT to finally connect to the world wide web with a dial-up signal. (Don't bother calling me while that's happening...only one phone jack.) I can adapt, like a Neanderthal learning to use a knife and fire, or be left behind like the dodo.

Fire it is.

"I'm here for an upgrade, but I really don't want a smart phone," I said to the sales guy, a lean twenty-something with black-rimmed glasses who has probably forgotten more about technology than I ever knew.

He welcomed me, the customer, thusly. "Sure, that makes total sense. Let's get you another flip-phone so you can pay more for a crappier device and actually get less value." He paused for breath. I felt like I was being berated by all my old buddies from home. "Yeah, you'd hate to be able to use the internet or find your way or share photos in the palm of your hand when you can call and text with something like you've got there." All with a straight face.

Long story short...I walked out with an iPhone 4S (for a dollar!) without an upgrade fee and the world now at my fingertips. And somehow, I'm only paying about $10 more a month with more available phone minutes and data for both me and Tanya. And I can tweet from anywhere.

I'm not going to lie, I'm happy with my new toy. But there'll always be something about that rotary phone.

New vs Old




No comments:

Post a Comment