By Andrew Kensley






Sunday, December 15, 2013

Final Wee Wisdom in the Coloradoan: A Last Hurrah...For Now

Full disclosure: the main reason I'm abandoning this endeavor—my introduction into the "official" publishing world—is that I've decided I will no longer write for free. The Coloradoan doesn't pay their local columnists, which means that I haven't received a cent for the four-plus years of Wee Wisdom writing. (I didn't want to publish that in the actual newspaper column.) And it's time my free labor days came to an end.

This was a huge decision, not only related to the difficulty of giving up something enjoyable that has occupied me for more than four years, but also because of the personal growth it represents.

I'm not bitter, considering that the newspaper gave me my first publishing credits, and has continued to support my desire to write. But I decided after much contemplation that it was time I gave myself the credit I was due. To quote no less an intellectual than the Joker, in The Dark Knight, "If you're good at something, never do it for free." And that is where I'm at with my writing career. If I'm going to market myself, it has to be genuine. I work hard at my craft, and I promise to continue to grow as a writer (and a person). Part of that is not only calling myself a professional writer, but acting like one.

Here's the column that appeared in the newspaper on Sunday, December 15, 2013. I will confess that I shed a tear while penning it:


In my 39 glorious years on this planet, I’ve traveled the globe, experienced unique cultural rituals and helped ailing people regain their livelihoods.

The universe beyond my home continues to scream with possibilities for personal growth and improving the world. I will always seek such opportunities, but raising two children continues to be the most fulfilling and wondrous experience in my life.

I’ll spare you a list of trite aphorisms or self-righteous snippets of advice designed to distill the most difficult job in the world down to a handbook. I haven’t written Wee Wisdom for more than four years to convince anyone of anything, and I’m not going to start now.

We must seek our own truths.

Nevertheless, in keeping with the ultimate objective of this column — my last, at least for now — I want to share one piece of advice I’ve gleaned from my decadelong, mercurial march through sleepless nights, first steps, body fluid explosions, contagious laughter, prodigious tantrums and euphoric hugs:

Change is the basis for life’s infinite splendor. Seek and embrace it, or fall victim to it.

After penning a hundred or so of these, I’ve decided to move forward in my life as a scribe. With hard work, supportive editors, a little luck and endless encouragement from Tanya, Ella and Sophia, I’ve grown my fledgling freelance career to the point where finding work is becoming easier.

In the past two years, I’ve written regularly for Mind+Body Magazine and the University of Colorado Health, and have contributed to Fort Collins Magazine. I’ve also published short fiction and completed a novel. I’m doing what I love and loving what I do.

I’ll continue to write about the range of emotions that populates family life. I will continue to record the insightful and unintentionally brilliant things that Ella and Sophia say and do on my blog, Facebook page and Twitter feed, because I love doing it, and because sharing is, quite frankly, fun for me.

In July 2009, I pitched the Coloradoan’s Life editor at the time, Miles Blumhardt (now the Sports editor), a fresh idea. He rewarded my perseverance and creativity by publishing my work every other Sunday. To you, Miles, for taking a chance on an unknown commodity and for igniting both my confidence and my growth as a writer, I am eternally grateful. Now, when people ask what I do for a living, I proudly proclaim, “I’m a physical therapist and a writer,” and it feels good.

Thank you to my current editor, Kathleen Duff, for continuing to support me. You’ve helped me live my dream and keep it moving in the right direction.

I’ve received a lot of feedback, both supportive and critical, which has validated one of my original goals, to connect with my community. For that, my readers, thanks to you as well. Email me anytime.

I’m not quitting my day job, but let’s just say my writing dreams are always evolving. Don’t be surprised if, as you’re browsing Amazon.com sometime in the future, my name pops up as the author of a novel or a travel memoir of my family’s year in France.

Change, incidentally, is spelled the same in French.

No comments:

Post a Comment