By Andrew Kensley






Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Money Talks

Sometimes when I start raving about my kids, I have to pause to make sure I'm not starting to sound like one of those annoying parents who, well, constantly raves about his kids.

We're all proud of their accomplishments—Sally pooped in the potty! Billy said mama!—and we want to share. The truth is, we can't help ourselves in alerting the world to our kids' uncanny instincts and superhuman skills because we're conditioned to do so. Clearly, the task must be vital to the perpetuation of the human race. Otherwise, why would we continue to do it?

Sure, we sometimes go overboard, and it annoys the heck out of our childless friends, and even some other parents. But shouldn't those of us who brag about our kids be lauded for, at the very least, taking an interest in our little ones, being encouraging, and promoting positive self-esteem?

Perhaps. And then there are the times when we should simply let our kids' actions speak for themselves.

In late September, devastating floods hit many parts of Northern Colorado not far from where we live. Ella, my 10-year-old, wanted to help. She decided to make bracelets and rings with her rainbow loom, sell them, and donate the proceeds to flood victims. That's great, I said. Very honorable. I was just happy with her charitable drive, which was the important lesson to be learned in this situation. After all, we had already made a few donation runs to a local church that was doing amazing things since the floods hit.

But my fifth-grader got to work in a way I didn't expect. Without any prompting from me or Tanya, Ella approached her school's guidance counselor. Together, they set up a plan which included arranging dates, times and a location for her sale, recruiting fellow students to make the merchandise, and advertising it in and around the school. She recruited her 7-year-old sister Sophia. Together, they made bracelets ($1) and rings (50 cents), designed posters and signs to put up around school, and enlisted the help of as many friends as possible. They sold their merchandise every day for a week during lunch.

On October 22, 2013, Ella and Sophia presented a pencil box full of exactly $113.10 to be routed directly to victims of the September 13th floods.

Other than driving my kids to the to the Fort Collins branch office of the American Red Cross, I played no role in their selfless display of generosity and community service. It was my proudest moment as a parent, and I'm glad you know.

Ella and Sophia at the Red Cross

1 comment:

  1. In Tears...awesome article...amazing kids! Yep I am bragging cause i get to since I am their Aunt:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete